I don't ask a lot from my body lotion: just to, you know, make my skin glow, get rid of any bumps, smell nice, feel good, absorb fast, look good on my shelf, and not cost a moisturized arm and a leg. Pretty reasonable, I think. So, could someone explain to me why I've come to own roughly seven bottles of body lotion that I can't force myself to throw out? This includes, but is not limited to:
- Kiehl's Creme de Corps, for every day
- Brazilian Bum Bum Cream, for club nights
- Amlactin, for bumps
- Byredo Gypsy Water Lotion, instead of perfume
- La Mer After Sun, for after the sun
- Avène Body Oil, when I really want to marinate
- Gold Bond Medicated, when my nose is stuffy
It's too many. I'm out of counterspace.
So, tell me: What do you use? Is there one that rules them all? Do you have to sacrifice luxurious texture for something that absorbs in a reasonable amount of time? What is the deal with dry oil? I need to know—it's starting to get warmer and I've got to moisturize before I retire my long shirt/long pants uniform and start showing some skin.
Photographed by Tom Newton.