My default uniform consists mainly of baggy tops and oversized bottoms (either purposefully designed in such a way or stolen from my imaginary boyfriend—aka, purchased from the men’s section). Fortunately in NYC this is considered fashionable, but in most circles it’s mainly seen as sloppy and/or an attempt to hide my more “feminine” figure. But between the incoming warmer weather and my newfound desire to embrace my natural form, I’m striving to find a way to flatter my shape without going full-on bodycon (though if that's your style, this is the Five Cool Things for you). I've found success in the slip dress.
1. The Row Namara Silk-Jacquard Dress: I was a faithful fan of The Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley and my steadfast trust in those two has extended from their crime solving to fashion designs. The duo can do no wrong, especially when thin straps, a minimal print, and black silk are in the mix.
2. DKNY V Neck Illusion Dress: If you’re looking for an LB(slip)D even more minimal, try DKNY. Remember the days of bras with clear straps? Think of this as the modern take on the Y2K wardrobe staple.
3. 6397 Silk Charmeuse Bias Cami Dress: Or, obviously, you can give a real slip a chance—either doubled-up with another slip for added opacity, or on its own.
4. Maiyet Blockprint Camisole Slip Dress: If you like a little more color and texture in your life, this mock-gingham marigold dress can certainly help brighten up your closet.
5. Free People Viscose Voile Slip: And for those looking for a great frolicking ensemble, this LWD is just as perfect for flowery fields in the countryside as it is worn stepping through a patch of freshly-mowed city grass.