I have recently come into 'possession' (we don't own anything, I know; we borrow it from a cloud) of some really great music. I credit this fact with three things: 1) SoulCycle: Twice weekly classes with Akin (intense cardio, hip-hop dance moves) and Parker (he's a Pentecostal preacher in Lululemon) have turned me on to Ginuwine remixes and Iggy Azalea; 2) Hype Machine: I know I am VERY, EMBARRASSINGLY late to the game, but guys, there are all these music sharing services on the internet! Like Hype Machine, which aggregates a bunch of blogs that are much cooler than me into one feed, where you can find rap remixes and house tracks before they hit the mainstream/iTunes/etc. Great for working out. And 3) Burberry’s recent Kerry Centre Flagship opening in Shanghai, which included live sets by Brits George Ezra and Paloma Faith, plus lots of choreographed dancing, rain, and trench coats. God bless Shazam, without which I never would have found Ezra’s “Blame It On Me,” a song I’ve since added to my running/subway/15-hour-flight-back-from-China soundtrack. My current list—take it or leave it, but I’m pretty happy with it—is below (Note: Beyoncé is on there three times, but one is a song about her, by Drake, one is a Kanye remix, and one is a cover, so I think it’s fair):
1) George Ezra - "Blame It On Me"
2) Iggy Azalea - “Fancy ft. Charli XCX”
3) The Weeknd - “Drunk in Love (The Weeknd Remix)”
4) Ginuwine - “Pony (eSenTRIK Remix)”
5) Pharrell Williams – “Happy (NEUS Remix)”
6) Erik Hassle – “Pathetic”
7) Drake – “Girls Love Beyoncé”
8) Disclosure – “F For You (feat. Mary J. Blige)”
9) Beyoncé – “Drunk in Love feat. Kanye West (Remix)”
10) ASTR – “Hold On We’re Going Home (Drake Cover)”
Now that you know what I'm looking for, give me suggestions! My iPhone thanks you.
Photo by Nick Axelrod at the Burberry Kerry Centre Flagship opening in Shanghai, China.