For all the good that it does for us—namely, giving us life…whatever—the sun is a cruel mistress. Sunburns, sunspots, and the possibility of skin cancer... And so we load on the protection: SPF, oversized hats, zinc oxide, summer sleeves, pants, gloves—but I'm here to tell you that at least one of these things can actually be an enjoyable indulgence. And that, my friends, is one word (which seems like it should be two words): sunglasses. Not only do they serve a sun-shading purpose, but they also come in handy when you're feeling haggard and aren’t wearing any makeup; when you’ve been crying and want to maintain some poise; to assist with incognito people watching and/or spying; and, on a more day-to-day level, to help compliment your whole look. Let’s shop, shall we?
1. Illesteva Leonard Sunglasses: The tortoiseshell acetate frames and dark lenses make these a good failsafe investment for anyone looking to not put so much effort into accessorizing, (i.e. no-fuss, these-will-work-with-everything shades).
2. Ray-Ban Clubmaster Polarized Sunglasses: If you want a pair of classic specks with a bit of an update, give these a go. The blue/green-polarized lenses will keep your stare a mystery, so keep on checking out that dude over there stretching after his shirtless run. No judgments. Do your thing.
3. Sheriff&Cherry G0008 Aviator Olympic Sunglasses: These let your kooky side live a little without throwing streamers and sparkles everywhere or interfering with office dress code. Because, seriously guys, only wear sunglasses outside.
4. Marc Jacobs 470/S: Maybe you want that classic aviator look but in a slightly more serious, streamlined design. If so, these jet-black plastic glasses belong on your beautiful face. Though marketed for men, the beauty of sunglasses (and fashion, in general) is that nobody cares.
5. BP. Heart Shaped Sunglasses: And for those who just want to go back to adolescent, princess-dress-up times (which I know we all do), a pair of novelty sunglasses belong in your collection. With a little bit of a Lolita vibe thrown in for good measure.
Photo courtesy of Calvin Klein.