Tonight, NYC will be filled with lovers, dressed to the nines, trading little gifts, adorably slurping the same string of spaghetti, and probably having lots of sex. And, after binging on chocolates from a heart-shaped box (or, like me, consuming a gross amount of edible sex products in today's Valentine's-themed cleanse), perhaps we will be spending some much-needed time in the gym to try and work off the damage. But instead of the classic black-on-black-on-black look that I—and the majority of the Greenwich Village Equinox—have resorted to wearing, why not dress to impress?
1. Under Armour Bra Protegée: While a good breast-jiggle peeking from beneath your top might be a career launcher, on the treadmill it just leads to pain and awkward arm placement. This is not the most delicate bra on the market, but those of the bustier persuasion will appreciate its infallible support—and the fact that it's so easy to put on and take off.
2. Tamara Mellon Ribbed-Knit Bra Top: A-cups to small Cs: I’m officially jealous (well, I’ve been jealous, but this is adding insult to injury). Wear Mellon's creation solo to show off your toned abs, or underneath a tee. Strappiness always equates to sexiness, even while sweating off the candy thongs (or whatever your diet is made of).
3. Nike Legendary Printed Tights: Black may be the most sliming color (particularly when it comes to extremely body-conscious gym attire), but most of the time it's also incredibly boring. Stick to the same forgiving shade, but add a little bit of pattern, and thus interest, with these Nike tights.
4. Print All Over Me Sweatshirt: First it was the Christopher Kane photo-realistic floral sweatshirt of Spring ’13, then it was Beyoncé in her pizza getup, and now it’s time to create your own version of a loudly-printed jumper. I suggest going with an image of the food that you hope to be eating shortly after your trip to the sweatshop (grilled cheese, please), but you could choose literally anything, including something from Instagram.
5. Adidas Stan Smith Shoes: The recently re-introduced Adidas classic has already popped up in our office. Don't wear them for strenuous cardio, like long distance running—we already sacrifice our feet in the name of fashion when it comes to heel height—but they're a comfortably chic option for mat exercises and walking to get that grilled cheese.