It started when I saw the blurred photographs of Marine Deleeuw draped in textured layers of blush, flamingo, and bubblegum for the Carven Fall 2013 campaign . Then I began neatly fanning choice copies of the The Gentlewoman (covered by Phoebe Philo, Angela Lansbury, and Christy Turlington) on my coffee table, slicing watermelon radishes with fervor, cyber stalking Hunt Slonem bunny paintings, and filling my medicine cabinet with all things roses. And, if the Sacai collection at New York’s new Dover Street Market, the runway return of Schiaparelli, and Jen Brill’s latest lipstick addiction are any indication, it's not just me. After a long hiatus, pink has made the journey (back) from sorority house to fashion house. Even Alexander Wang is pushing the color (at both his own label and his new Parisian post). Those deliciously oversized Carven coats may be sold out, but I’ll gladly take…
1. Carven's Open-Back Cotton Dress: If this is the only piece of the calamine collection I can get my hands on stateside (though this crinkled taffeta dress and wool tulip skirt are on sale Europe-wide), it will be enough. Its prim, stiff cotton structure, high neckline, and grosgrain trimmings subverted by the cutout back makes me feel like a modern, French Courtney Love.
2. IRO Pink Distressed Suede Adila Biker Jacket: Winter requires heavily plied wool, so until spring rears its beautiful face, I'll let this close-to-the-skin, nearly nude, suede biker peek out from under more weather-appropriate pieces.
3. Saint Laurent Trifold Wallet: Hedi's turn at Saint Laurent has been all about L.A. youth culture, but this slim magenta wallet looks like it belongs poolside at the Parker Palm Springs. Which is where you'll find me after Fashion Month.
4. Alexander Wang Malgosia Lace Up Sandals: This fragile color is a twist on Wang's traditionally very black, grey, and black-grey aesthetic. And the dropped heel strap keeps the sophisticated stiletto feeling casual.
5. Deborah Lippmann Break 4 Love Nail Polish: Rumor has it, Inez van Lamsweerde rang up Ms. Lippmann when she realized that this exact shade of nail polish did not yet exist. Their resulting collaboration, Break 4 Love is a watermelon-pink evocative of sunnier seasons, and it almost makes my pale skin look sun-kissed. Thanks, ladies.