Ah, ‘tis the season to be giving. We may already have prepared our own wish lists for moms, dads, girlfriends, boyfriends, old friends, new friends, and the greatest giver of them all—Santa—but, according to some, the greatest gift is giving to others. It’s time to start thinking about the other people in our lives. So, in part one of our gift guide series, we turn our focus to the ones who gave us life: our parents.
1. Amco Rub Away Bar: Garlic is arguably the greatest smell in the world when it’s coming from the kitchen, but rarely, if ever, when it’s coming from your hands. For the chef in the family, this “Rub Away Bar” promises to remove any odor from your mitts, stat!
3. The New York Times 36 Hours: 150 Weekends in the USA & Canada: This NYT coffee-table book is all the encouragement your parents will need to finally take that cross-country road trip (or romantic weekend getaway) they’ve been talking about since you were born.
4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa: Whether your father is a groomed gentleman or of the au naturel persuasion, all guys can stand to class it up a bit (just ask your mom). Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa’s notes of leather, lemon, and musk make it a clean and masculine crowd-pleaser. In other words: you can't go wrong.
5. Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia Cologne: Finding the perfect sophisticated, delicate, and feminine perfume for your mother without treading into old-lady territory is a challenge in and of itself, but Jo Malone fits the bill. The fragrance starts as an unstuffy floral ("I'm a lady") and develops its airy, woodsy notes ("I'm hip, I'm cool") throughout the day.
6. Rodin Olio Lusso Luxury Face Oil: The luxury oil certainly lives up to its name, hydrating even the most weathered skin. It’s simple. It’s great. It smells incredible. And it’s not just us saying so: Mandy Moore, Eva Chen, and 20 other ladies and gents on ITG agree.
7. StickyGram iPhone Covers: Those looking to take a “from the heart” approach can remind their ‘rents of their shining faces every time they pick up their cell with a custom-made case to go with that embarrassingly out-of-date photo of you they still use as their wallpaper.
8. Ranjana Khan Face Yoga: If you’re on a tight budget this year, gift some quality time instead, offering to lead a few sessions of family face yoga with the guidance of Ranjana Khan. It’s yoga in the name of relaxation, rejuvenation, and anti-aging. Namaste.
9. An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield: For the man-of-letters type of dad, Chris Hadfield’s (the recently Earthed astronaut made famous by his hilarious and informative ISS videos) new book will teach your pop the kind of life- (and space-) preparedness lessons that he’ll inevitably try to pass down to you.
10. Dash Greek Yogurt Maker: We first peeped this in New York Mag’s excellent Gift List. YES, we thought. Equipped with their very own Dash Greek yogurt maker, your parents can now prepare their own healthy snack from scratch, or whip up a batch for an in-home spa face mask à la Piper Perabo.
As always, please let us know your suggestions for the perfect gift for Mom and Dad, and check in tomorrow for part two of our gift guide.