For Peter Pan, the sign of maturity was wearing a tie. For the modern woman (well, for me), it’s a pair of simple, clean, and elegantly pointed black pumps. But how to choose? The variations may be subtle, the color may be the same, the shape fairly consistent, but with an extra inch of heel, a lower-cut front (a.k.a. more toe cleavage), or the addition of ankle adornments, your shoe can go from Kate Moss  to Princess Kate . So let’s all bite the bullet together, get a little more comfortable with being an adult, and put our best foot forward (in the best shoe):
1. Manolo Blahnik ‘BB’ Pointy Toe Pump: Start with a classic. The man who was basically Carrie Bradshaw's fourth best friend knows how to make a shoe that lands. And with the patent-leather finish, your heels will have just enough shine for the holiday-party circuit (come jeans or gowns).*
2. Jimmy Choo Anouk Glitter-Finished Leather Pumps: The glitter-splashed version of Jimmy’s classic Anouk is what we imagine Dorothy’s cooler little sister would have worn.
3. Gianvito Rossi Metal-Tipped Glossed-Leather Pumps: This, my friends, is the high-heeled answer to steel-toed boots, because even punks have to dress up sometimes.
4. Alexander Wang Lovisa Point Toe Pump: Probably the most comfortable pump on this list due to its padded ankle strap and lower heel height, Wang delivers yet again with his modern take on the classic court shoe, perfect to transition from in-office to après work drinks and dancing.
5. Alejandro Ingelmo Mariposa Cutout Tie Pump: The typical issue with the pump lies in the possible failure to keep your foot safely inside. We’re aiming to avoid a Cinderella-leaving-the-ball moment (though, if Prince Charming and a castle comes with losing our shoes, maybe we should give it a try?). Problem solved with these pumps, which comfortably enclose your ankles while looking pretty damn cool from the side.
*P.S. If patent just isn’t you, or say 4” isn’t high enough, you can now customize your Manolo BB Pump at Neiman Marcus—height, color, fabric, it's all up to you!
Photo via Louis Vuitton.