Have you ever tuned into The Voice to find style ideas? No? Do you even watch The Voice? Well, maybe you should. Last week, while getting my fix of NBC’s answer to American Idol (You’ll always be my favorite VJ, Carson), I was quite shocked to find myself ogling Adam Levine’s clothes instead of wishing he would just take them off. The Maroon 5 singer was sporting a shirt I’ve not seen the likes of since The Brady Bunch went on vacation, and rarely—if ever—wanted to wear myself: the Hawaiian. Yes, Mr. Levine was redefining a clothing item once reserved for humiliating celebrity mug shots (cinematic  or actual ) and grandpas. He got me thinking/shopping:
1. J.Crew Vacationland Printed Silk Shirt: Jenna Lyons, you are too good! Ladies, gentlerockstars, meet the mild, prepster take on the Aloha State top. Its rose hue and relatively minimalist print hint at Island Time and won't make you look crazy if you choose to wear it on-duty as well as off.
2. Lonely Sabel Two Strap Bra: With a “fun” shirt should come a good-time bra. And this cerulean lace undergarment from the New Zealand-based lingerie company Lonely has a double-front strap to keep the ladies comfortable.
3. Rag & Bone/Jean Boyfriend Jeans: My perpetual fear of the whale-tail keeps my waistline almost exclusively above the navel—but I’ll make an exception for these kind of perfect jeans. They’re baggy enough to sit comfortably on your hips without the danger of riding below your undies, and distressed enough to look effortless, not bedraggled—the idea here is to evoke ease, not Castaway.
4. Saint Laurent Patti Leather Army Boots: Fine, you got me: I want everything from Saint Laurent Paris. But if I had to pick just one thing… at the top of my list is Slimane’s clean cut, but still made-for-stomping version of the combat boot. So tough. So fresh. So clean.
5. MAC Indulge Lipstick: Last winter I nearly went through an entire tube of MAC Sin, but I’ve since replaced it with the slightly brighter, just-a-little-more-red Indulge. The semi-matte finish keeps the pigment on my lips all day so I can channel Hawaii à la Kurt Cobain, not Magnum, P.I.