For the next few months, we'll all face a certain challenge: stay warm without losing all hope of looking even slightly attractive. Yes, to a certain extent we always suffer for our fashion, but when the pain crosses into frostbite-and-tears territory, well, perhaps it’s time to invest in some cool-looking protection. While the odds of finding a coat that is equal parts warm and flattering are...whatever really terrible odds are (I'm not a big gambler, what can I say), accessories can save us from total unintentional derelict-marshmallow status.
1. Alexander Wang Donegal Beanie: This is, hands down, the best beanie out there. It’s the right shape (not too slouchy but with enough slack to not look like a skull cap), the right thickness, and the right neutral shade. Emily and I swear by these suckers from November to March.
2. Bryan Boy for Adrienne Landau Fur Cowl: Our pal BB clearly has a flair for the dramatic and all things eye-catching. Which is exactly what you get—in the perfect dose of collar-completing fur fluff—from his collab with furrier Adrienne Landau. These scarf alternatives offer both warmth and a little excitement up top.
3. Barneys New York Rib-Knit Fingerless Gloves: I don’t care what technology goes into those supposed 'iPhone-friendly' gloves: they never work! Fingerless gloves are the only way to stay on your phone in the cold. Don't let anything keep you from Snapchatting, Instagraming, and Tweeting.
4. J.Crew Men’s Camp Socks: I can never understand why men’s socks are always so much better than women’s. We’re stuck with hearts and oversize polka dots while the gents get a plethora of patterns and designs. So let’s all jump ship and grab a pair of socks from J.Crew's men's department. These feel retro, and wouldn't look bad at all peeking out from over your boots.
5. L’Oréal Voluminous Carbon Black Waterproof Mascara: With cold weather and wind come unintentional tears. No, I wasn't just crying; I'm cold. After testing many versions, I know I can bat my lashes without fearing a smudge with this trusty tube of L’Oréal. (Anyone else have a favorite winterized mascara?)