Hey, do you guys know a good zip code in LA? Of course you do. 9-0-2-1-0. Yes, Beverly Hills is known/mythologized the world over, but not as much for its tony shopping, careering Girl Scouts, or eponymous hotel as for a group of over-privileged, self-loathing students from fictitious West Beverly High.
It was 23 years ago tomorrow (October 4th, 1990) that the first and best teen soap, Beverly Hills, 90210 premiered. And, hindsight being 20/20, we can’t believe just how much the universe gained from Darren Star and Aaron Spelling’s creation. Without Luke Perry’s Dylan McKay, we may have never had a Ryan Atwood, Shawn Hunter, Luke Brower, the Fresh Prince, or Tim Riggins. Also: weren’t the Walshes the original Cohens, Matthews, Seavers, Bankses, and Taylors? Without Shannon Doherty’s Brenda, would we have ever fully understood “Bitchy Resting Face"? Probably not. Could Eastbound & Down have survived without lifting the hairstyle of one Steve Sanders? You know where we stand.
These kids from the right side of the tracks tackled everything from love, marriage, and studying for finals to anti-Semitism (no joke), teen pregnancy, drugs, and house fires. But boy, how they handled it all in style. Below, ten things we learned from Brandon, Brenda, Kelly, Steve, Andrea (remember her?), Dylan, David, Donna, and co.
- Your friends need a hang-out spot
- Megan Fox is a very lucky woman
- With your peers on your side, not even the law can hold you back
- Drugs are bad
- Zig-zag hair parts are good
- Never, ever wear the same dress as your best frenemy
- Man or woman, your hair can never have too much volume
- Mom jeans= comfortable and cool
- You date the Dylan, you marry the Brandon
- But your relationship with yourself is the greatest love of all
Above, the best looks from the show.