Rooney Mara really can do no wrong, in my book. She is beautiful, she is talented, she has impeccable style, and she seems like a pretty lovely person. A few weeks ago, she attended the New York premiere of her new tragic romance, Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, in yet another enviable outfit (see above). She looked put-together, sexy, and feminine, without a single piece of lace or flower detail in sight. I've decided Rooney’s long-sleeve Calvin Klein crop top and high-waisted pencil skirt is going to be my new getup. Why? The mix of skin (upper abs and calves-down legs) and weightier fabrics make the ensemble perfect for early fall, which, hate to break it to you all, officially begins in two days. So, let's do it:
1. Torn by Ronny Kobo Oil Crop Top: I'm going to say it: the crop top is an great go-to for all women. At least I've found that one of the areas I'm least weary of revealing is the strip of skin a few inches below my boobs and a few inches above my belly button. I'd venture to say it's our—mine and most women's—skinniest, most flattering, section. So let’s embrace it. Let’s show it off. Let’s be a little slutty. The long sleeves and crew neckline of this Torn by Ronny Kobo version keeps it a bit modest and good for cooler weather.
2. Joseph Leather Pencil Skirt: Pencil skirts have always seemed just a little too suggestive while being a little too reserved. But damned if I don't want to slip on Joseph’s sleek, leather iteration. If we’re going for sexy with this outfit, we might as well take the plunge, right?
3. Bop Basics Cashmere Oversized Beanie: What better way to dress down a fancier look than by slipping on a luxurious beanie? They're in high demand in this office, no matter the season. No matter the outfit. Put a slouchy cashmere hat on and tell me you don't feel immediately cozier. Happier. Ahh.
4. Dr. Martens 'Original 1460' Boot: The comeback of the combat boot is nothing new, but who cares: I'm really feeling classic maroon Dr. Martens right now. If you don't want to wear black heels with your pencil skirt (á la Rooney), a pair of Docs will keep you looking dangerous.
5. Nars Brow Perfector: After years of leaving them pretty much alone, I’ve begun to pay attention to my eyebrows. Nars’ pencil is ideal for testing the waters—not too heavy (meaning it's hard to go full-caterpillar on your first swipe), and buildable.