Remember those kids who strolled into your 8 AM lecture blatantly wearing the pajamas they had been sleeping in just 15 minutes earlier? Well, they may have been testing hygiene limits, but they also may have been onto something. Blame it on a very-late-to-the-game inspiration from Phoebe Philo’s Spring 2011 Céline show, or the influence of my recent binge-watching of The New Girl in which Jessica Day (Zooey Deschanel) is an avid fan of the matching pajama set, but I’ve got a newfound appreciation of pjs. The mature voice inside my head longing for sophistication has taken over, and nothing says fancy like matching silk pajamas, right?
1. Olivia Von Halle Alba Maria Printed Silk-Satin Pajama Set: Leave it to Net-A-Porter to sell an impressively stylish pair of silk pjs. No, they're not a 'steal,' but the set’s silver lining is your passport to don this late-eveningwear during the day (or, earlier in the evening). For adventurous 9-to-5-ers, might I suggest going full-throttle in both pieces plus a sweater and/or light jacket, and accessorizing heavily? And to the more conservative among us: the green checked top is an easy topper to classic denim.
2. Catbird Cat Eye Mask: Continuing with the sleepwear trend—though, admittedly, an eye mask would be much harder to pass off as daywear—Brooklyn's Catbird boutique has the perfect, somewhat kitschy mask for the feline-inclined (we love cats, it ain’t no secret). Meow.
3. Rag & Bone Driscoll Booties: If I were to crown a king among shoes, it would be the black ankle bootie. One pair is just not enough. 'Subtle' differences, like heel height, clunkiness, material, etc. are actually huge differences. And this Rag & Bone fall addition, with its pony-hair front, is grungy enough to finish off any recent Saint Laurent wardrobe inductee, but sleek enough to go the "pulled-together" route.
4. Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Bronzer: Because we just found a new use for bronzer, and this might just be the best one if you hate hate HATE sparkle in makeup. It's dry as the desert and beloved by many.
5. Marc Jacobs Beauty Lip Lock Moisture Balm: Say what you will about the formula (avocado butter + SPF to keep your lips kissable, and a minty aftertaste to keep you/others coming back for more), but what really gets me is the packaging. The curvy, shiny bullett with a twist-off, not merely pull-off, lid has managed to raise the bar for lip balms everywhere.