Say what you will about the evolution of Yves Saint Laurent --> Saint Laurent ("Ain't Laurent!"), but you'd be hard-pressed to find another designer tapping into music culture with as much fervor as Hedi Slimane. His campaigns so far have starred Marilyn Manson, Kim Gordon, Ariel Pink, and Courtney Love, and the fall show was basically one big, glitter-tights, shaggy-haired homage to "Come As You Are"-era grunge. Yes, you can probably recreate the look at home with a flannel from your dad/brother/boyfriend, a 20-minute visit to the local Goodwill, and a trip to Forever 21... but I'd wager that the perfect, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-worthy, black leather LBD is coming from Paris by way of Italian factories by way of Slimane's exacting design.
1. Saint Laurent Min Dress: Sticker-shock aside, think of how many times you'd wear this. Dressed up, dressed down, at night, and during the day with...
2. BLK DNM Oversized Jean Jacket: ...a jean jacket. A jean jacket is the new black-leather biker jacket. And I'm not just saying that because I left my black leather biker jacket at Café Stella in Los Angeles : /
3. Maria Black Gold-Plated Wing Earrings: In my opinion, this is the earring incarnation of a Givenchy print. Graphic, chunky, and a little bit retro while still looking like something out of Star Trek/The Neverending Story.
4. Kevyn Aucoin Cream Glow in Pravella: Call me crazy, but I've never known what to do with RBB (Really Bold Blush), on myself or on others. Fuchsias and corals kind of freak me out, and thus I have any number of run-of-the-mill pinks in various drawers and cabinets. This particular pink, and the fact that it's creamy and sheer with a powder-soft finish, makes me ever-so-slightly flushed without screaming BLUSH!
5. Nars Satin Lip Pencil in Lodhi: Nudes are really tricky. The more heavily pigmented they are, the more in danger you are of skewing toward "mannequin face." The most wearable ones, I've found, are semi-sheer, and Nars' latest is no exception. It strikes a balance between pink and orange, and doesn't completely delete your natural lip color. The perfect accoutrement to "I just woke up" smudged black eyeliner and an "I'm alive!" healthy glow.