Jenna Lyons—often referred to as the coolest person ever, or, in other circles, the best thing to happen to fashion since Anna Wintour—covers Fast Company's May 2013 issue (in a white dress shirt and white bowtie!), with a feature by Danielle Sacks. Sure, we all know the story (or should—it’s amazing) of how Jenna came to J.Crew right out of Parsons and stayed until she reached the top, thanks in large part to a great relationship with J.Crew chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler. (“Not since Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive at Apple has a creative pairing been as intriguing and fruitful as that of Drexler and Lyons,” Sacks writes.) But, since we all already knew this, the Fast Company article offers a few other great tidbits to this Cinderella-in-salmon-hued-Bermuda-shorts story:
- Lyons has a peach fur draped over her white leather Eames chair in her office [3,5]. We'd like one of each.
- She—at the time of the interview—was on a juice cleanse and hated it, much like we did: “I’m so hungry. I haven’t eaten in 10 days…”
- She, too, struggles with putting on tight pants.
- If you want to fit in with the J.Crew crew, try going sans socks—bare ankles are in.
- Lyons sometimes thinks of herself as a “glorified crossing guard.” Expect orange and yellow vests in the Fall 2013 catalogue.
- She was born with incontinentia pigmenti (a genetic disorder affecting skin, hair, teeth, nails, and the central nervous system), which required her to wear dentures as a kid.
- And the best part of the feature? This excerpt: “'Ask my ex-husband how perfect I am,’ [Lyons] jokes during one of our interviews… ‘You’re pretty candid,’ I tell her. ‘Maybe to a fault,’ she says. ‘I might take my teeth out.’”
Sure, it’s not new information, but Jenna Lyons, you are a goddess among women. And now excuse us as we go fill up a shopping cart on JCrew.com… (It's 25% off everything today!!!!!)
All photos by Yu Tsai from Fast Company May 2013 (Issue 175). Subscribe to see more.