Call me crazy, but I just can’t get that Juergen Teller portrait of Phoebe Philo on the insane tiger-print couch out of my head. Her outfit is also kind of nuts, but I love it. I mean, black leather sweatpants? Actual, literal training shoes, in a completely weird combination of colors? Who does this? I do. Well, I want to. Except instead of a 1,329-ply cashmere sweater, let’s go a bit more street. Think Céline, sure, but also the mid-'90s and Aaliyah, with a hint of Caroline Brasch Nielsen.
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim's Nueva York Muscle Tank: Because I love this big crazy city of mine, and this shirt is cut loose in the armholes (which makes it cool), is longer in the back (doubly cool), and has an asymmetrical slit on the bottom right-hand side so you can do that tucked-in-the-front, flowing-in-the-back thing. Just make sure your pants are low (but not Bieber low).
2. Vince's Leather Jogger Pants: I’ll bet Philo’s pants are Céline, which means, even though they’re perfect, they’re probably $4,000. Listen, a pair of leather pants isn’t cheap no matter which way you slice it, but let’s face the facts: luxe sweatpants have replaced luxe pajama pants in the loungewear-as-daywear department, and these rule. They are perfect.
3. Maison Martin Margiela's 4 Finger Rings: The infamous Spring/Summer 2013 Balenciagas may be sold out everywhere (and if they aren’t, email me!), but these can be at your doorstep tomorrow and are pretty damn close to the real thing.
4. Superga's Linea Platform Sneakers: These are just a wee bit safer, and chicer, than Philo's Nike Vortex, and they let you get in on the whole platform creeper/loafer trend that’s going on without breaking the bank. White kicks might seem scary, but remember, they’re hot shit.
5. Clare Vivier's Striped Clutch: I’ve been toting this around for about seven months—it fits a phone, wallet, keys, and at least four lip products (sometimes it’s all about the options), and it sort of shrinks to fit whatever’s in there. And when you need to go hands-free, it looks hella cool wedged under your arm.